Contracts for Forest-Based Businesses
Participants will be able to answer that question that has crossed all of our minds at one point: Why is it that it takes a twenty page contract to record a deal that it only took two minutes to verbally arrange? Participants will be better able to understand and write contracts, and will have a greater understanding of the issues directly pertinent to contracts in the forestry, consulting and logging businesses.
Topics explored in this course include:
- Overview of a Contract – when is one created, how does it fit within the legal scheme of things
- Why Use a Written Contract - the “legal” reasons as well as others
- Elements of a Contract – what do they all mean
- Characteristics of Unique Contracts – a review of the main agreements used in the forest industry
- Intellectual Property Rights – who owns what and why
- Agency – what can your contractors, employees and others do for you (or to you)
- Tendering – when, why and how to use Requests for Proposals and other means to tender work
- Getting Out of a Contract – how do contracts end and what remedies are available
The course combines lectures with open discussions and learning based exercises. The instructor will take the time to answer all questions.
Benefits of taking this course include:
- Identifying when and why a contract exists and how to alter this situation
- Recognizing “red flags” or potential problems as they arise
- Minimizing legal liability and understand how to protect your business when entering into a contract
- Maximizing due diligence in the area of contract management
- Improved understanding of how to manage the situation when a contract goes “bad”
- Avoiding common contract drafting errors
- Increased awareness of terms common to contracts
- A thoroughly enjoyable two days of professional development
This seminar is for anyone involved in, or who is considering being involved in a forest-based business. Satisfied past participants of this course and similar courses led by Mr. Robert Hunter include employees and owners of businesses in forestry, forest consulting, silviculture and logging.
Evaluations completed by participants at a similar course taught by Mr. Hunter included comments such as:
- “Good use of the time with pertinent and current info”
- “The course should be mandatory for those creating contracts as part of their job function”
- "Instructor was great, good sense of humour and interesting stories! He brought the material home and tied it to real life”.
This course is 2-days. The course is classroom-based consisting of lectures, applied exercises, case studies and discussions.
Course participants will receive a Contracts for Forest-Based Businesses Course Completion Certificate if:
- They attend both days of the training course.
- Achieve a grade of 70% or higher on the course Knowledge Evaluation.
More Information Required?
Contact Us and we will be happy to answer your questions and/or forward additional information.
Other Important Course Information
Course Materials VOI Training group Provides:
All participants will receive a comprehensive manual including all the presentation materials, case examples, the relevant exerts from legislation and discussion topics.
Classroom Supplies Participants Provide: